Wat vindt u van onze website?

  • Groene smiley (positief) Goed
  • Oranje smiley (neutraal) Matig
  • Rode smiley (negatief) Slecht

Exchanging your foreign driver's license

If you live in the Netherlands for more than 185 days and you obtained your driver's license in an other country, in certain circumstances you may be able to exchange it for a Dutch driver's license. This is only possible if you are registered in the Dutch population register (BRP) in Best.

Afspraak maken

In order to exchange a foreign driving license for a Dutch one, you must come to the Municipality of Best. You have to make an appointment, online or call 14 0499.

Make an appointment (only in Dutch)

Bring with you

  • Your (old) foreign driver’s license (this will be sent off to the Dutch Department of Road Transport, RDW)
  • A passport photograph. Please note the requirements
  • In some cases you will need a declaration of medical fitness. Inquire at the Municipality whether this is required in your case
  • A valid proof of identity (identity card or residence document)
  • You may need a translation of foreign documents
  • Cash or a bank debit card. Payment must be made at the time of application

How long can you continue to use your foreign driver’s license?

  • You can use a driver’s license that was issued by a member state of the European Union (EU) or Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland in the Netherlands for a maximum of 10 years. After that, you must exchange it for a Dutch driver’s license.
  • After settling in the Netherlands you can continue to use a driver’s license from a different country for a maximum of 185 days. After that you must exchange your driver’s license for a Dutch driver’s license.
  • If you are not able to exchange your driver’s license (this applies for a number of countries outside the European Union), you will be required to take the standard theory and practical test at the CBR.
Sluit het menu