Passport for foreign nationals

Anyone with Dutch nationality can request a Dutch passport. If you live in the Netherlands but do not have Dutch nationality and you are not able to obtain a passport in your country of origin, you will need an alien's passport if you wish to travel to a country outside the Netherlands. Requesting a passport can only be made by appointment.

In order to request a passport, you must come to the Municipality of Best. You have to make an appointment, online or call 14 0499.

Make an appointment for the application for a passport (only in Dutch)


  • You must be registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) in Best
  • You must be able to prove that you are not able to obtain a passport in your country of origin

Bring with you

  • Your residence permit
  • A recent passport photograph. Please note the requirements
  • Cash or a bank debit card. Payment must be made at the time of application
  • A declaration from the Embassy of your country of origin confirming that you are not able to apply for a passport. This doesn't apply to children under 16 years who were born in the Netherlands, who have a regular residence permit and whose parents have an asylum residence permit

Children under 18 years must also bring with them

  • Written permission from both parents or from the person who has parental responsibility: a printed and signed copy of the Declaration of approval for a foreign national minor to apply for a passport
  • An original proof of identity for both parents or for the person who has parental responsibility


Price passport
Detail Price Validity
0-17 years old and refugees- or alien's passport € 55,35 5 years
0-17 years old (urgently) € 105,20 5 years
From 18 years old € 73,20 10 years
From 18 years old (urgently) € 123,05 10 years

How long does the application procedure take?

  • After 5 business days, you can collect your passport at the appropriate counter at the Municipality of Best.
  • You need an urgent application? Requests before 2:00 PM you can pick up the passport in principle the next working day from 11:00 AM. For an urgent application you pay extra.

Lost or stolen

If your passport has been lost or stolen, when you apply for a new passport you must also notify the Municipality that your old passport is missing. Declaration is free of charge and can be done online. Report a lost or stolen passport (only in Dutch). If you prefer to go to the town hall for this, make an appointment to do so. Report the loss of your passport as soon as possible. This is necessary to prevent its abuse.

Travelling with children

If you are travelling to a foreign country with your children and your family name is different from theirs, this can cause problems at passport control at the airport. You will need proof that you are the father or the mother or that you have parental responsibility. This can be obtained from the Marechaussee (Royal Military Police).

Sluit het menu